Feb 15, 2007

Wait For Me

Wait For Me


I know more about you than you know about me;
unfortunately, it will always be that way.
I was born in the springtime, many years ago,
but you arrived from heaven’s door just yesterday.

All these years without a challenge to test my soul,
I worked so very hard, and I believed my heart.
I tried to be a good old boy enjoying life;
so my life was almost gone ‘fore yours got its start.

Now, the puzzle of the ages comes to light.
I, who have lived my life, must make that life return.
I’m not as young as I was, but still, I’m not too old
to pile-up my mistakes and watch my bridges burn.

I know you think you know what I’ve been doing
all this time while I’ve been trying to do what’s right.
This is not the first time I’ve tried to redo me,
but, is the first time I’ve been equipped to win the fight.

What’s so strange about an old man knuckling down?
(A lot of older men have lost their edge before).
Though I have never been older than I am now,
I’m still ready to walk through any unlocked door.

Before I die, I intend for you to know me
as well as you know all the things for which you’ll yearn.
At that place in time will come a serious man,
listen well great grandson, we still have much to learn.

Papa

© John F. Templin
Not edited-2/6/2007 5:46:30 PM
Revised-2/7/2007 5:30:38 PM

No comments: